A summer salad is a perfect refreshing way to put together some of those unique summer ingredients
Total Cooking Time: 60 minutes
With the weather starting to turn, I suddenly got a very random craving for corn and beets. And so, I decided to go with a nice summer type salad that I came across a few years ago. This salad is so simple and is not work intensive which is absolutely fantastic for a lazy, hot day.
The ingredients for this salad are very simple. It’s corn, beets, onions, and what ever other vegetables you want! I like adding celery and some type of crumbled cheese. I know people like putting in feta, but I am partial to blue cheese.
The whole process is very simples. The only really cooking that needs to be done is with the beets. They need to boil to become properly tender. I like adding lemon juice to the boiling water because it helps keep the bright color of the beets and helps them be slightly less messy.
The remaining prep is just dicing all the available ingredients. I like to dice everything to be about the same size, but this process is so inherent that I completely forgot to take pictures. Besides cooking the beets, this process is very simple and only takes a moment.
Beets are like dyes
I didn’t realize how messy beets can be! When I was done peeling and dicing the beets, my hands were dyed red for a day. I know the lemon juice minimized the damage but I am still searching for a way to get rid of it completely!
Simple Summer Salad
- 2 Ears Summer Corn
- 3 Medium Beets
- 2 Tbsp Lemon Juice
- 1 Small Red Onion
- 3 Stalks Celery Optional
- ½ Cup Crumbled Cheese i.e. Feta, Blue
- Bring water to a boil, I used about 6 cups. This should be enough to submerge the beets. Add lemon juice to the boiling water.
- Trim the tops off of the beets and place them in the pot of boiling water. Reduce heat to a simmer. Boil for about 45 minutes or until they are just tender.
- Prep corn as desired (this is depending on if you’re using ears of corn or frozen). Cut corn off of the ear, to just have the kernels.
- Dice the onion, celery, and any other vegetables desired.
- When the beets are cool enough to handle, trim off both ends and peel off the skin. Dice the beets.
- Toss all ingredients into a bowl. Use dressing as desired!
- 1 cup Peas
- 1 cup Diced and gently cooked carrot